Friday

Tiles

Hello Friday!

This week has been my birthday and I have been thoroughly spoiled and very lucky. I spent the day with my parents, we went to New Brewery Arts (go - it's brilliant, I particularly admired Loco Glass) then here for lunch, then onto a great antique shop where I bought the worlds most beautiful dining table with carved oak leaves and acorns ready for my new flat in Hove.

I'm really happy to share some more progress photos from my public art project in Charfield South Gloucestershire. I've been commissioned by Studio Response on behalf of Bellway Homes to create a series of integrated artworks for the new development. After researching the culture, history and landscape of the area, I decided to make work inspired by the local birdlife, and so there will be frottage stones, weather vanes, bird sculptures, and exterior tiles.

There are four repeat pattern tiles, based on the same cherry branch throughout the seasons and depicting the birdlife you can expect to see in the area at the different times of year. Here's my hand drawn designs;

Spring - left to right dunnock and blackbird


Summer - left to right house martin and swallow


 Autumn - left to right chaffinch, bluetit and goldcrest


 Winter - left to right goldfinch, long tailed tit, redwing


I'm working with London Mouldmakers in Essex and I'm really excited to share some WIP shots (thanks to Arthur for the photos!)...




I also just want to say another BIG thanks to Martyn Hayes and Mya Rose Craig for their help and advice. They shared their bird expertise and local knowledge to help me select the appropriate species for each part of the project, they are FANTASTIC birdy heroes and I am very grateful.

OK, tomorrow I'm off to London with friends (cake, gossip etc) and then Sunday I'll be painting flowers (doubtful that I will get out of my PJ's, and I expect to consume oceans of tea - I've got a rose flavoured one at the moment and it's glorious!).

Have a lovely weekend whatever you get up to, join me in painting/ PJ club on Sunday if the mood takes you ta-ra x

No comments: