Thursday

Screen printing

Hello! I've been having a brilliant time screen printing recently and so I just wanted to share the process...

My studio is at home and I don't have the space to do a full emulsion printing set up, especially since it is only something I dabble with occasionally. So I've been working with the Daler Rowney System 3 drawing fluid and screen block. It's really easy, reliable and perfect for a home studio.

You will need...

- Daler Rowney System 3 screen drawing fluid
- Daler Rowney System 3 removable screen block
- Daler Rowney System 3 acrylic printing medium 
- Daler Rowney System 3 acrylic paints (whatever colour (s) you fancy)
- silk screen
- squeegee

Also, top tip... I have hinges attached to my desk (a bit like these), they allow me to clamp the screen and hold it still and they're only small so I leave them on the desk all the time.

For my recent screen prints I've been using the designs created for the paving (part of my commission for The Lexicon - more info here). 

First job is to paint your design using the blue drawing fluid on the inside of your screen (give it a really good stir first!) then leave it to dry. 



Once dry pour a bead of screen block to the top of the screen and using the squeegee flood the screen try to create an even layer. Leave the screen block to dry (I always leave it overnight). Then using COLD WATER ONLY wash out the blue screen block.



Once the screen is dry you're ready to print - HOORAH! You mix the print medium with paint 50/50 and everything is water based so it's easy clean up and no fumes.

When you want to reclaim the screen (ie, get rid of the design so the screen is blank again) you wash it out with VERY HOT water. I wear rubber gloves and use cif detergent and a cloth to scrub at it too. 

For more help I found this tutorial by Ella Masters really helpful - she uses the thicker screen block which comes in a tin but I prefer the one in a bottle like this.



In other news this week has mostly been drawing orchids for a branding commission and researching for my new public art commission in South Gloucester - a rather lovely way to spend a week!

Have a great weekend and I'll see you next time x

3 comments:

Tutors in USA said...

What a great web blog . I like this blog because of its design and interface. It is user friendly and it is nice to visit the blog.
screen printing

John Sparkman said...

Very Nice Blog. Thank you for sharing this information. if you are interested in Printing Services Central Coast, feel free to visit our website.

Anonymous said...

I have tried hot water and cant get this stuff off my silk screen!